Why young generation is succumbing to heart diseases?

heart diseases

Heart flownAccording to the Indian Heart Association, half of the heart attacks among Indians occur under the age of 50. The statistics are disturbing. 25 percent of all heart attacks occur among Indians below the age of 40. People residing in cities are three times more prone to heart attacks than those who live in villages.

We generally are under the assumption that people in their old ages or those with poor diets, having smoking habits or obesity disorders are more prone to heart attacks. Then why do seemingly healthy people suffer from the disease?

The truth of the matter is the heart diseases dont discriminate. They can affect anyone. Many reasons contribute to weaker hearts among Indians “ especially the young ones “ today. Three of them are:

High stress 

Stress affects the behavior and it is an important factor that makes the heart vulnerable and contributes to blood pressure and high cholesterol level. In todays cut-throat competitive world, stress levels have shot through the roof.

To avoid falling prey to stress, take time out from your busy schedule each day to meditate and exercise for at least 30 minutes. According to research, people who exercise 30 minutes a day substantially lower the threat of heart ailments to themselves.

Poor eating habits

Stressful lifestyles and extensive work hours have made eating habits erratic. People dont just consume junk food. They also dont have a fixed routine to eat. As a result, the body doesnt get the nourishment it needs and instead gets stuffed with harmful fats and toxic substances.

Poor eating habits result in obesity, something thats increasingly becoming common among the young generation. The number of overweight men in India has shot up from 17.3 percent in 2010 to 19.5 percent in 2014. Among women, this condition has increased from 10.6 percent in 1998 to 24.7 percent in 2014.

An effective diet is 70 percent responsible for a healthy life; exercise is responsible for the remaining 30 percent. So eat plenty of leafy vegetables and fruits. Eat foods with low carbohydrates and more protein to make sure you dont feel hungry at odd times and become vulnerable to eating junk food. This will also keep your energy level up when you have to work long hours.

 Alcohol and smoking

Regular consumption of alcohol causes irregular heart rhythms called arrhythmias. It can also raise the level of triglycerides in the blood. Not to mention the increased calorie intake. Smoking cigarettes reduce tolerance for exercise and increase the tendency for blood to clot.

All these are a recipe for conditions like high blood pressure, obesity, accumulation of bad cholesterol and more.

You dont need harmful artificial stimulants like nicotine and alcohol to live a healthy life or cope with the amount of stress you experience.

You can replace these with healthy food. This wont just increase tolerance level but also make you mentally stronger to tackle challenges you face in life head-on.

If you would like to kick these addictions mentioned above, you can begin consuming Ayurvedic medicines. Theyre 100 percent natural and have no side effects. In fact, an expert practitioner of Ayurveda will not give you a one-size-fits-all medicine, but a customized one to suit your body.

The saying rightly goes, health is wealth. Everything in life “ your success, family, longevity and so on “ are a result of this important aspect. Make sure you make taking care of your health a non-negotiable task in your life.

(The Writer is Dr Santosh Dhage (B.A.M.S. P.G.P. Panchakarma). The views expressed are personal opinion.)



Follow and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Elets video

Eletsonline News

Follow us on

Most Popular

200000+ Subscribers read it every day.
Subscribe Newsletter
To Top