In line with its commitment towards its patients, Fortis Flt. Lt. RajanDhall Hospital, Vasant Kunj today announced the launch of its Ortho Pilot Navigation Centre, the latest and the most advanced technology for Navigation, in the field of Orthopedic. The centre was launched by Chief Guest Sh. Vijay Goel, Member of Parliament in an inauguration ceremony which was held at ITC Sheraton Hotel.
The highlight of the event was the bhangra and gidda performance by the patients who recently underwent knee replacement surgery at Fortis Hospital, VasantKunj. The programme was a conglomeration of experts from the healthcare sector, Fortis Hospital Orthopedic team and their patients, and officials from B Braun Medical India.
Speaking at the launchDr.Abhishek Kumar Mishra, Sr. Consultant, Joint Replacement and Orthopaedic Unit Fortis Hospital, VasantKunj said, Computer Navigation increases the life of the joints that result in greater stability and range of motion reduces the risk of dislocation and revision surgery. It also reduces blood loss during the surgery and helps in faster recovery.
Computer Navigated Surgery is a state-of-the art surgical technique which lifts the accuracy of joint replacement surgery from around 80 per cent to up to 95 per cent, improving the longevity and functioning of the artificial joint. The smooth surface of the artificial implants just like normal knee, can allow for easy, painless movement.
Orthopilot is a navigation system that guides the surgeon to make precise cuts in the knee and remove the deformities. It uses infrared camera, computer with sophisticated software to provide the real time, patient specific information during surgery while virtually eliminating expensive and radiation intensive CT & MRI scans before the surgery.With this initiative, Fortis Hospital VasantKunj becomes the first few centres in Delhi/NCR offering this state-of-the-art technology in the field of Orthopaedic.
Advantages of Computer Navigated Surgery:
· Increases the life of the joint, reduces the risk of dislocation and revision surgery
· Results in greater stability and range of motion
· Provides comprehensive data about anatomy, alignment and component position which may result in more exact placement of joints
· Allows the surgeon to more accurately plan for the surgery with the use of digital images of hip, knee and ankle
· Provides the surgeon with more control, feedback and the ability to correct potential errors during the surgery
· Reduce blood loss during surgery which lessens the need for a blood transfusion.
· Less scarring
· Faster recovery and shorter post-operative physical rehabilitation
The other facilities available at Fortis Flt. Lt. RajanDhall Hospital, VasantKunj for total knee replacement are Minimal Invasive surgery and patient specific knee replacement surgery.