The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare launched the National Health Portal (NHP) Voice Web, which is a 24X7 toll free helpline (1800-180-1104) across India on the second day of Digital India Week during National Summit On Best Practices and Innovations In Public Healthcare System In India at Shimla on 2 July, 2015 wherein best practices and innovations in public healthcare systems were recognised.
The NHP Voice Web is a 24X7 toll free helpline (1800-180-1104) wherein one can get authentic health information. This voice web service is an information repository on various topics ranging from handy health tips, disease based information, government health policies and programs, health facilities around you, career options for students and other health related information. This advanced system is capable of recognising user voice input and currently the information is available in five languages namely English, Hindi, Tamil, Bangla and Gujarati but in future more Indian languages would be covered. The intent of using telephone technology as a medium to disseminate information is to reach out to masses in remote locations, where there is no Internet access thus, overcoming the barrier of illiteracy.
In the next phase, users will be able to know about the nearby hospitals, blood banks and ambulance services available.
Our intent is to use telephonic technology as a medium to disseminate information to citizens in remotest locations, and also where there is no Internet. The following objectives are aimed at:
- NHP Voice Web will allow users to interact in their preferred language for getting the requisite and authentic information. Currently, the system supports five languages namely, Hindi, English, Tamil, Bengali and Gujarati but there is a plan to increase the number vernacular languages.
- NHP Voice Web is a speech enabled system that makes content browsing and search easier and faster even to semi-literate and rural population of the country
- No special user training is required and the system adapts to the caller requirements.
- Internet Connectivity in India is still only at 22 per cent however this system offers 24×7 operations and is not dependent on data connectivity at all
- Language support provides 97 per cent Indian demographic coverage