Outbreak of Coronavirus, first reported in China’s Wuhan city is creating havoc even as countries are taking up measures to contain the virus.
Coronavirus which was first identified on December 31 in China transmits from animal to human. The virus has caused death of 17 people in China and has infected around 600 people globally. In the wake of the virus spreading like wildfire, China has suspended all public transport, including flights in and out of Wuhan, the epicentre of the coronavirus, which has now spread to seven countries.
Let’s have a look on 10 important points pertaining to virus, its infection, and other developments
1. The virus has got its name from Latin, word ‘corona’ which means ‘crown’. In microscope, these viruses are found to have crown-like structure.
2. Coronaviruses are a family of viruses that cause infections in the respiratory system.
3. There are seven known coronaviruses, including the newly identified 2019-nCoV and SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) which infected 8,098 people and killed 774 in 2002-03.
4. As per WHO, an animal appears most likely to be the primary source of infection.
5. China’s National Health Commission Vice Minister Li Bin stated that there was evidence of respiratory transmission of the virus from patient to patient.
6. So far, the virus has infected people across seven countries including South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, Saudi Arabia, Vietnam and the U.S.
7. Symptoms of the disease caused by the virus include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.
8. Scientists are trying to figure how the disease spreads. It’s not clear how the virus is transmitted, or how easily it can move from person-to-person
9. Airports in various countries including the United States, Britain and many Asian countries have stepped up screening of passengers from Wuhan.
10. The WHO has also sent directives to hospitals around the world on infection prevention and control.