Medicine is one of the most popular career paths in India. Gaining an MBBS degree is the first step towards the journey to becoming a doctor. It is a dream of many students.
Are you one of them? Do you want to pursue your career in the medical field?
Then, you must be aware of the fact that getting a medical seat in India is not that much easy. Due to the difference between the number of seats available and the number of applicants, this competition for MBBS admission in India is on the rise. But students opt for MBBS course abroad.
The best MBBS abroad destinations include countries like Russia, Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Georgia, Germany, etc.
The medical universities in these countries follow the international curriculum and offer low-cost MBBS in abroad for Indian students as well as other international students. Studying MBBS abroad has a lot of benefits for you.
Why Study MBBS abroad?
You will find given below some of the reasons why students prefer studying MBBS abroad:
● Generally, no donation fees are required to get admission in medical colleges abroad.
● Also, there is no need for any kind of entrance exam to get admission in medical colleges abroad.
● Students can get medical education at affordable costs in countries abroad, that is, only between INR 15-25 Lakhs approximately.
● The availability of world-class infrastructure and facilities is also the major reason why students want to pursue medical studies abroad.
● The living cost is low in the countries mentioned above, such as in Russia it is very low. The average monthly living cost in Russia can be USD 100-150 including overhead expenses.
● Many medical universities abroad use the English language as the medium of education, thus it becomes easy for students like you to study the course. Also, it’s not necessarily required to learn the local language of the country you are in to study the MBBS course.
● While studying MBBS abroad, there are many opportunities for you to get international learning and work exposure. You can get the chance to interact with students coming from different countries, backgrounds, and ethnicity in the top medical universities abroad.
Eligibility for Studying MBBS Abroad
Below mentioned are the criteria for Indian and international students looking to study MBBS abroad. Let us have a look:
1. The student willing to study MBBS abroad must be 17 years plus as on 31st December of the year in which the admission is being taken.
2. The student must have completed the class 12th from a recognized school or college or university.
3. The students must have an aggregate of at least 50% in Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and they must have English as a compulsory subject if they are from the General category.
4. The student must have an aggregate of at least 40% in Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and must have English as a compulsory subject if the student is from SC/ST/OBC.
5. You need to clear the NEET exam which will be a compulsory exam from 2018 onwards for admission in any country abroad.
6. You must be an Indian national.
What is the Admission Process for Studying MBBS Abroad?
The process of admission in medical colleges abroad is very simple and hassle-free. The student needs to fill the online admission form and submit the necessary documents either online or offline. Once you submit the documents, the process of admission will be initiated immediately. The admission letter will be issued by the respective university on submission of the following documents:-
1. 10th standard results
2. 12th Level results with eligibility as required by the university.
3. Copy of the passport.
After submitting the necessary documents, the student gets an invitation letter from the Ministry of Education from the respective country. After this, you can apply for a visa. You will be provided with pre-departure training. The students are provided with accommodation at the University.
Is NEET compulsory for studying MBBS in abroad 2020?
Yes, you must note that, from 2020 onwards, the NEET examination has become mandatory for admission to any country outside of India.
NEET refers to the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test. This exam is important for the screening test conducted by MCI. A student is allowed to appear at the MCI screening test only after they complete the medicine course from the MCI approved colleges.
Students will be required to clear the NEET exam in order to sit for the NEXT exam conducted by NMC (National Medical Commission). NEXT exam is important for you to practice in India once you complete the MBBS course abroad.
Some Important Points to Keep in Mind While Studying MBBS Abroad
While choosing a college or a University for studying MBBS abroad in any country, you must consider some of the important points given below:
MCI Passing Percentage: To select a good university for the medical studies, it is necessary to check the MCI passing percentage ratio of the university.
Select Government Universities: In Government universities, the ratio of the MCI test qualification is very high, they are affordable and there are no hidden charges as Private universities.
Availability of MCI Coaching: You must choose a college or a university which provides MCI coaching to students.
Language of Instruction: You must make sure prior to taking admission to any MBBS college abroad that the University providing 6 years MBBS course is fully English or not.
Quality of Education: For pursuing MBBS abroad, students must look for a university or college with the best quality of education.
Practicals: In Government medical universities, practical programs are conducted on dead bodies rather than on dummies. Practical programs are more important for MBBS students than just theoretical knowledge.
Studying and living costs in the country: Different countries have different studying and living costs. However, countries like China, Georgia, Russia, Ukraine, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, etc. have affordable studying and living costs.
Availability of Indian food and hostels: You must also look at whether the Indian food facility is available at the university of your choice or not. The availability of Indian food or Indian Mess depends on the number of Indian students present in that university. So, you must also see how many Indian students are studying at the university.
Safety and Climate: These are the other two things which you should look for while choosing a university for studying MBBS abroad. The country must be free from the war zone and it should have a moderate climate where you can adjust without facing many difficulties.
Fees for Studying MBBS in Abroad
Many abroad countries like Russia, China, Georgia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, etc. offer MBBS education at a low cost. These countries also have affordable living costs.
Have a look at some of the countries below with the total packages they have to study MBBS:
|Country||Total Package (Approx. including college fees + Hostel + Food)|
|MBBS in Russia||22 lakhs (English Medium)|
|MBBS in Ukraine||25 lakhs (English Medium)|
|MBBS in China||19 lakhs (Bilingual Universities)|
|MBBS in Kazakhstan||19 lakhs (English Medium)|
|MBBS in Armenia||23 lakhs|
|MBBS in Kyrgyzstan||17 lakhs|
|MBBS in Georgia||25 lakhs|
|MBBS in Bangladesh||26 lakhs|
|MBBS in Nepal||40 lakhs (without hostel and food)|
Top Countries to Study MBBS Abroad at Low Cost for Indian Students
Find below some of the top countries to study MBBS abroad at low cost:
1.China: China is one of the most preferred countries to study medicine for Indian students. It has about 45 medical institutions that are approved by MCI and other organizations. Chinese universities provide high standards of education in low tuition fees compared to India.
Cost: INR 20 – 35 Lakhs approximately (for the whole program)
Some popular MBBS colleges in China are:
➢ Wuhan University
➢ Southeast University
➢ Ningbo University
➢ Jiangsu University
➢ Huazhong University of Science & Technology
2.Nepal: Nepal is one of the most beautiful and scenic countries in the world. Its climate is similar to that of India. Indians prefer Nepal as it is very near to India and another reason is that it has a pleasant weather. The biggest advantage of studying MBBS in Nepal is its Visa process. Since both India and Nepal have mutual considerations, visa and immigration processes are faster and easier. The cost of living is also less.
Cost: INR 30 – 40 Lakhs approximately for the whole program
Some of the best colleges in Nepal to study MBBS are:
● Janaki Medical College
● Kathmandu University School of Medical Sciences (KUSMS)
● National Medical College
● Nepal Medical College
● Kathmandu Medical College
3.Ukraine: Ukraine is the country that has world-class equipment to treat diseases. It has some of the best medical colleges which cost very less and offer the best medical education. It has universities that are affordable for Indian and other international students to complete their UG and PG in medicine. Almost all the colleges in Ukraine are globally recognized by international bodies like the Medical Council of India (MCI), World Health Organization, FAIMER, UNESCO, and AIMEE.
Cost: INR 20 – 25 Lakhs approximately (whole program)
Some of the most famous universities for medicine in Ukraine are-
● Kyiv National Medical University
● Vinnitsa National Medical University
● Bogomolets National Medical University
● Ternopil State Medical University
● Donetsk State Medical University
4.Kyrgyzstan: Kyrgyzstan is a place where you can complete your medicine course within 12-18 lakhs, that is, at a very low cost. It is one of the most cost-friendly places to study medicine. The universities provide high-quality education with good infrastructure and low cost. All the institutions in Kyrgyzstan are recognized by MCI.
Cost: INR 17 – 24 Lakhs approximately for the whole program.
Some of the reputed institutions:
● Osh State Medical University
● Jalalabad Medical University
● Asian Medical Institute
● Kyrgyz-Russian Slavic University
● International School of Medicine
5.Russia: European countries are really very expensive, both the educational expenses and cost of living are relatively high. But in Russia there is a different scenario. The educational expenses and cost of living are very less compared to other European countries. The demand for the professional doctors is very high in Russia which increases the ROI in a span of time. So choosing Russia will be one of the good decisions for Indian students.
Some of the good and famous medical institutions in Russia are:
● Siberian State Medical University
● Ryazan Medical University, Ryazan
● Mordovia State University
● Kuban State Medical University
● Northern State University
● Pirogov Russian National Research Medical University, Moscow
6.Bangladesh: Students should follow a different procedure to get admission in universities of Bangladesh. The SAARC exam must be cleared by the international students for admission into the universities of Bangladesh. Depending on the scores obtained in SAARC students will get admission in private and government colleges in Bangladesh. The cost of living and the fee for the medical course is very less in Bangladesh, though the education system is similar to the Indian education system.
Cost: INR 30 – 60 Lakhs approximately for the whole program.
Some of the best medical colleges in Bangladesh are:
● Bangladesh Medical College
● Jahurul Islam Medical College
● East West Medical College
● Delta Medical College
7.Belarus: Belarus is a very small country compared to other countries. Belarus has the best medical colleges with affordable fees, though the country is small. All the colleges in Belarus are approved by the WHO, MCI, and other medical bodies and they are also highly recognized for their quality of education system. The medium of instruction is English in universities of Blearus which is an advantage for Indian students.
Most famous medical universities of Belarus are:
● Belarusian State Medical University
● Vitebsk State Medical University
● Gomel State Medical University
● Grodno State Medical University
Apart from these countries, there are many other countries which are considered to be the best for studying medicine.
The above-mentioned countries are very affordable for Indian and other international students concerning low fees, quality in education, and infrastructure.
Thus, you can complete your dream of becoming a successful doctor by studying in these countries offering low cost MBBS.
All the best for your future !
(Disclaimer: The writer is Ashish Sharma, Digital marketing manager. Views expressed are a personal opinion.)