Healthcare providers are the #1 target for attackers. The most significant cybersecurity breach on an Indian healthcare provider website resulted in a loss of 68 lakh records. The data loss contained patient information, patient personally identifiable information (PII), and doctor information, doctor PII and credentials.The attacks have been attributed to Chinese advanced persistent threat (APT) groups that are focused on targeting biomedical, pharmaceutical, and healthcare organizations.
The increasing frequency and volume of attacks on healthcare providers are due to:
- Lack of proactive approach to security standards
- Use of unpatched and vulnerable legacy systems by healthcare providers
- Easy and unauthorized access to patient database
- Information leakage by a malicious insider or an intruder
With the rising frequency of attacks and the right to privacy becoming fundamental, a draft of the Digital Information Security in Healthcare Act (DISHA) has been submitted to the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY). This draft will be subsumed in the upcoming ‘Data Protection Framework on Digital Information Privacy, Security & Confidentiality’ act.
ColorTokens understands the unique challenges facing today’s modern healthcare market – delivering one, unified security platform to protect hybrid clouds, applications, workloads, virtual machines, and connected legacy and modern-day endpoint devices against advanced malware and targeted attacks.
Key Security Benefits for Healthcare Organizations
- Unrivaled visibility: Cross-segment traffic visibility across application workloads, endpoints, virtual machines and containers
- APT protection: Protection against advanced persistent threats that move laterally, and block unauthorized access to sensitive information: ePHI, PCI and PII data
- Continuous assurance: Comply with HIPAA, PCI, GDPR requirements
- Simplify system audits: Audit HIS applications, VLAN/ACLs and firewall rules, ePHI with flow data visibility
- Legacy system protection: Comprehensive security for legacy and modern-day endpoints in a hybrid cloud or on-premise environments
Built on a zero-trust architecture, ColorTokens Xtended ZeroTrust Platform proactively secures cloud workloads, bare metal servers, virtual machines, application environments, and endpoints from internal and external threat actors. ColorTokens protects high-value assets from zero-day attacks, fileless attacks and malware, ransomware, and advanced persistent threats. The ColorTokens healthcare solution integrates with market-leading vulnerability assessment and security intelligence tools to provide up-to-date and holistic security.
(Disclaimer: Writer is Mukul Ahluwalia, Product Marketing Manager, ColorTokens Inc. Views expressed are a personal opinion.)