During the first trimester of pregnancy, the best exercises would be swimming, running, weight training, stationary cycling and aerobics. Ensure that you spend maximum 30 minutes during the day for exercising, writes Dr Vijaya Manohar, Consultant Gynecology & Obstetrics, Apollo Cradle.
Physical exercises are one of the best measures for pregnant women to ensure mitigation of any complications during pregnancy and delivery. Exercising on a regular basis helps in avoiding backaches and fatigue. It is indeed unsafe to exert themselves extensively at a critical time like this. Hence, it is important for pregnant women to keep in mind certain aspects of exercises which they can follow during pregnancy.
During pregnancy, there are high chances for women to gain up to 50 pounds and above. To balance the amount of weight gained, it is necessary that she practices the following while exercising:
- During the first trimester of pregnancy, the best exercises would be swimming, running, weight training, stationary cycling and aerobics. Ensure that you spend maximum 30 minutes during the day for exercising. The ones who are just beginning to exercise as their normal routine need to make sure they consult the Gynecologist before carrying out the
- It is safe to exercise slowly. Whether weight training or aerobics or calisthenics, slow exercising can help you reduce your calories and keep your body comfortable at the same time.
- During pregnancy, you have less tolerance to heat. A cold environment would be ideal for exercising. Also cool down your body at regular intervals while exercising as the heart rate during pregnancy is high.
- It is important that you keep your body hydrated during pregnancy especially when you are exercising on a regular basis.
- Most important is to listen to your body while exercising. If you are not enjoying your workout, ensure you go for the exercise you enjoy and give your body rest if you are exhausted.
There are many precautions one must take while exercising during pregnancy. Following are certain workouts which should be avoided:
- While stretching your muscles, a hormone called relaxin is produced, this enhances the flexibility of your muscles. Hence, be certain that you do not stretch your muscles more than required as it would lead to a muscle tear.
- Exercises which involve waist twisting, inverting your body upside down, bouncing and stretching together or crunches should be avoided as they would cause variations in your blood pressure and might not be safe for your baby.
- While exercising, make sure you do not stand for long time periods. This leads to an uneven flow of blood where the uterus receives less blood flow and the legs receive a large amount of it resulting to dizziness.
- Holding your breath is not advisable for you and the baby. There are high chances for you to pass out while doing so. Opt for exercises that would not make you hold your breath.
- Make sure that you do not lie on your back while exercising as the spine position would not allow a proper blood flow in the body leading to nausea and breathing issues. At such times it is advisable to turn towards the left side of your body.