Amit Singh, General Manager – Computed Radiography Solutions, Carestream Health India
Radiologic technology is advancing at an extraordinary and ever-accelerating pace – with ongoing advances that empower radiology departments to continually increase their standard of care and efficiency. At the same time, however, this rapid evolution poses a serious issue: it’s not uncommon for equipment to become outdated well before it reached the end of its useful life. This can force facilities that want to remain on the cutting edge to replace technologically obsolete equipment on an all-too-frequent basis – incurring costs that no department in this age of tightening budgets can afford.
So – in light of this serious challenge, how can you run a facility with the best and latest technology… and at the same time avoid a financial breakdown? You need to go with technology that’s future proof – technology that’s designed to be scalable and grow along with your needs. This can minimize worries about technology obsolescence, extend the life of your existing equipment and continue to leverage your current investments.
This is what it means for your technology to be Right for Today, Ready for Tomorrow.
To move forward, the first step is to identify and incorporate growth scenarios into your long-term planning and design. For example, you need to analyze the projected growth of your enterprise, both short- and long-term. You need to examine any shifting trends in the demographics and needs of your patient base. Assess where you are now in the imaging continuum; that is, are you imaging on film? Have you upgraded to Computed Radiography (CR)? Or, have you stepped all the way up to the benefits of full Digital Radiography (DR)? Whatever your current technology, you’ll need to establish a timeframe and budgetary parameters for progressing to the next level. You will also need projections for your service and uptime requirements over time, based on your facility type and degree of equipment redundancy.
These can be tough challenges. But, you don’t have to tackle them on your own; the right vendor can partner with you to evaluate your present needs and help lay out a plan for the future.
The Guidance You Need is Close at Hand
Carestream is just such a vendor – helping you to look beyond a single product at a specific point in time – and working with you to design a forward-thinking solution that will remain viable and fulfill your evolving requirements. The foundation of this strategy – an initiative that emphasizes modular capital purchases and professional services to reduce risk and increase flexibility and adaptability to change.
Carestream’s broad portfolio of X-ray solutions can provide the answer wherever your facility is on the imaging continuum. And, offer a bridge to the next level of X-ray technology and services that you can cross as soon as you’re ready.
Modularity and Scalability
Carestream’s imaging solutions are based on an exceptionally modular platform. The benefits of this are compelling. For example:
• If you’re currently using film and plan to continue this for some time, you can look to Carestream for analog X-ray systems and X-ray film that represent the gold standard for the industry.
• When you’re ready, Carestream can help you upgrade to CR image capture – without the need to purchase all-new components for your X-ray room.
• In the future, you can move into DR imaging while protecting your current X-ray investment. Carestream’s DRX-1System and DRXMobile Retrofit Kits allows you to convert existing CR mobile units or full rooms to DR with a state-of theart wireless, digital detector – which is fully compatible and sharable with the other DRX equipment across your entire enterprise.
• Moreover, you can then expand your DR systems on an ongoing basis, continually advancing your capabilities, while still leveraging your legacy technology.
• Carestream’s Right for Today, Ready for Tomorrow design philosophy is not limited to hardware. Both our CR and DR solutions are driven by the same Carestream DirectView Software and feature the same user interface. A consistent platform that works across all products means there’s no need for techs to learn multiple user interfaces, minimizes training time, and makes it easy to move from one piece of equipment to another.
Carestream’s worldwide services team works alongside your professionals, keeping your equipment running at peak performance. A comprehensive scope of service solutions offers the right solution for facilities of any size level of in-house resources.
Radiology IT solutions from Carestream are designed on similar principles. They enable upgrade from film or early-generation systems without a prohibitive investment – and with no interruption of services.
The Road Forward
As Radiology departments and imaging facilities navigate their future, the need to tap advancing technology while containing costs will continue to be a formidable challenge. To succeed, the smartest strategy is to invest in imaging solutions that will adapt to your needs as you progress along the imaging continuum.