June 2013 1147

MEDSIM – Medical Simulation Based Learning Using Virtual Patients

By Prof Prema Nedungadi, Center for Research in Advanced Technologies for Education (CREATE)Amrita University

With 330 medical colleges,India’s medical education domain is one of the largest in the world.At the same time, while our hospitals
have upgraded laboratory techniques,installed Electronic Medical Records (EMR) solutions, medical education in India have not kept pace in using technologies in the classroom. Experts estimate a large number of deaths each year in hospitals as a result of medical errors. In the context of patient safety, the pedagogical usefulness of animations and interactive simulations in healthcare is most interesting to consider.
Imagine a situation where hard to diagnose patient cases are electronically documented by experienced doctors and our future doctor students are allowed to practice and learn from them. Inspired by Amrita University Chancellor AMMA’s vision that research and development should directly benefit the society, MEDSIM aims to provide medically accurate case simulations and reduce medical error and improve patient safety.
Under a research grant from DeitY,Government of India, the Center of  Research in Educational Technologies(CREATE) at Amrita University along with faculty and doctors from Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences (AIMS) and CDAC Trivandrum are designing an innovative, scalable and cost effective approach of using computer based medical simulation learning environment called MEDSIM to address this very issue. Computer based simulation facilitates learning through interactive problem solving and real time feedback but without the risk to patients. Amrita University has established itself as leader in simulation based development by successfully designing hundreds of virtual simulation based experiments for both schools and higher engineering education and the learning outcomes for thousands of students have been positively impacted through the computer based simulation approach.
The MEDSIM approach is aligned to the clarion call in the Medical Council of India (MCI) 2015 vision document that recommends immediate adoption of technologies like simulation in medical colleges.
MEDSIM is being designed to provide an easy to use learning environment to replicate clinical scenarios and allow features such as practice and feedback for medical skills development, exposure to difficult to visualise procedures, protocols and case studies with state of art virtual patient cases. The system is designed to be relevant to the Indian environment and confirm to our MBBS curriculum.
In MEDSIM, a medical student will interact with a virtual patient to obtain the history, conduct a physical exam and make diagnostic and therapeutic decisions. The student may pose questions to the virtual patient, order lab tests, and prescribe medicines. Students may review the results and responses before making diagnostic clinical and management choices. The student’s decisions have direct consequences on the virtual patient’s outcome.The pilot stage of the project will involve developing virtual patient cases with the guidance of doctors and real medical case histories in a couple of areas such as emergency medicine and critical care.

13 Comments

13 Comments

1. car insurance rates Land O Lakes FL

July 25, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Play informative for me, Mr. internet writer.

2. car insurance in Goose Creek SC

July 25, 2017 at 8:12 pm

As Charlie Sheen says, this article is “WINNING!”

3. free car insurance quotes Elk Grove CA

July 25, 2017 at 9:27 pm

Why do I bother calling up people when I can just read this!

4. cheap car insurance Tuscaloosa AL

July 26, 2017 at 1:09 am

Was totally stuck until I read this, now back up and running.

5. cheap car insurance Winter Garden FL

July 26, 2017 at 3:17 am

What I find so interesting is you could never find this anywhere else.

6. best car insurance in Santa Clara CA

August 5, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Very beautiful, Bev! How about doing something with silver? I don't see many people using silver in their holiday cards… Love all your stuff–mojo or not… 😉 Or maybe do a tutorial on something–that might kick start ya! hehe

7. auto insurance Cleveland GA

August 7, 2017 at 2:15 pm

Lycaner 1  0“Wir wollen ja kein Geschlecht vorverurteilen, es könnte schließlich auch ein Mann gewesen sein…. ”Hallo??? Hast dir mal den Wagen angesehen??? Das war ganz sicher ne Frau… 1. SEAT 2. Familien Wagen 3. steht da ein Weißer Golf, der Typisch Männlich aufgepimpt ist (Den macht die Olle noch kaputt!!! [hmmm… vielleicht der von ihrem Macker])

8. affordable car insurance Glennville GA

August 9, 2017 at 4:28 pm

A person essentially help to make severely articles I would state. That is the first time I frequented your web page and so far? I amazed with the research you made to create this particular put up extraordinary. Wonderful process!

9. auto insurance Yorba Linda CA

August 11, 2017 at 6:22 pm

I’ll right away snatch your rss feed as I can’t in finding your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly permit me recognise in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.

10. auto insurance rates Poughkeepsie NY

August 13, 2017 at 11:11 am

Bonjour vos recettes sont hyperbonnes et à la portée de tout le monde! pour le mhalbi la crème de riz n'est pas tellement fine es ce qu'il faut la moudre? Merci et bonne continuation

11. list of auto insurances in Bethany OK

August 14, 2017 at 8:57 am

Du är en riktig kämpe 🙂 skönt att höra att det inte bara jag som har ätit den här veckan….. men skiljer oss Ã¥t är att jag fÃ¥r Ã¥ngest och känner mej uber fet…. mÃ¥ste jobba pÃ¥ den bite.Massa kramar till dej Ã…se du är underbar 🙂

12. car insurance quotes Cedar Park TX

August 17, 2017 at 11:47 am

OK, it’s Thursday and it’s a new day! I spent the morning printing, so exciting because I haven’t printed since July and I’ve been really concerned about that. I totally felt the shift. After lunch I headed down to the river for a walk with Ty the yellow lab — the water was flowing strong and steady with yesterday’s rain and I felt yes, me too, I’m flowing again.Nice day!

13. cheap car insurance Allendale MI

August 19, 2017 at 7:37 am

hola señora Mabel estoy leyendo sus proyectos y estan muy bonitos, donde trabajo todavia utilizamos el curriculo basico el viejo los proyectos lo hacemos diferentes pero son espectaculares felicitaciones