MEDSIM – Medical Simulation Based Learning Using Virtual Patients

By Prof Prema Nedungadi, Center for Research in Advanced Technologies for Education (CREATE)Amrita University

With 330 medical colleges,India’s medical education domain is one of the largest in the world.At the same time, while our hospitals
have upgraded laboratory techniques,installed Electronic Medical Records (EMR) solutions, medical education in India have not kept pace in using technologies in the classroom. Experts estimate a large number of deaths each year in hospitals as a result of medical errors. In the context of patient safety, the pedagogical usefulness of animations and interactive simulations in healthcare is most interesting to consider.
Imagine a situation where hard to diagnose patient cases are electronically documented by experienced doctors and our future doctor students are allowed to practice and learn from them. Inspired by Amrita University Chancellor AMMA’s vision that research and development should directly benefit the society, MEDSIM aims to provide medically accurate case simulations and reduce medical error and improve patient safety.
Under a research grant from DeitY,Government of India, the Center of  Research in Educational Technologies(CREATE) at Amrita University along with faculty and doctors from Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences (AIMS) and CDAC Trivandrum are designing an innovative, scalable and cost effective approach of using computer based medical simulation learning environment called MEDSIM to address this very issue. Computer based simulation facilitates learning through interactive problem solving and real time feedback but without the risk to patients. Amrita University has established itself as leader in simulation based development by successfully designing hundreds of virtual simulation based experiments for both schools and higher engineering education and the learning outcomes for thousands of students have been positively impacted through the computer based simulation approach.
The MEDSIM approach is aligned to the clarion call in the Medical Council of India (MCI) 2015 vision document that recommends immediate adoption of technologies like simulation in medical colleges.
MEDSIM is being designed to provide an easy to use learning environment to replicate clinical scenarios and allow features such as practice and feedback for medical skills development, exposure to difficult to visualise procedures, protocols and case studies with state of art virtual patient cases. The system is designed to be relevant to the Indian environment and confirm to our MBBS curriculum.
In MEDSIM, a medical student will interact with a virtual patient to obtain the history, conduct a physical exam and make diagnostic and therapeutic decisions. The student may pose questions to the virtual patient, order lab tests, and prescribe medicines. Students may review the results and responses before making diagnostic clinical and management choices. The student’s decisions have direct consequences on the virtual patient’s outcome.The pilot stage of the project will involve developing virtual patient cases with the guidance of doctors and real medical case histories in a couple of areas such as emergency medicine and critical care.

17 thoughts on “MEDSIM – Medical Simulation Based Learning Using Virtual Patients

• June 22, 2018 at 1:26 pm

Marta, que grande escolha!A letra, toda ela, é um caleidoscópio de imagens e emoções em que Lennon era exímio! E a voz …Estive a ouvi-la, claro, e é como se fosse a primeira vez: descobre-se sempre qualquer coisa nova e fantástica!

• June 22, 2018 at 3:25 pm

Tapez votre commentaire Vous pouvez utiliser ces mots-clés HTML : <a> <abbr> <acronym> <b> <blockquote> <cite> <code> <del> <em> <i> <q> <strike> <strong> Prévenez moi de tous les nouveaux commentaires par email. Prévenez moi de tous les nouveaux articles par email.

• June 22, 2018 at 4:47 pm

Great work Jeff!I’m restoring a Dig Dug cabinet right now as well. You should link to some pics of this project (if you have any). I keep lots of resto photos on Flickr which is great to use. Do you have samples or a tutorial on laminating the side art? That’s something I’ve never done!Cheers.

• June 22, 2018 at 5:10 pm

I also feel like maybe he tries to cover it up too the moment that he realizes, but I hope not that much. Well, at least I know he can't repress his ~feelings~ about Tigh — I feel like he and Tigh both realize just how MUCH they love each other in this episode was well. THEIR FRIENDSHIP IS SO MAGICAL.<3 <3 <3

• June 22, 2018 at 5:24 pm

Hey Bobby,How lovely to hear from you again.I expect the 2013 version (or the American Version) to be finalized before Christmas and will do my utmost to have a signed copy of it to you before then.Re your visit to Australia?Let me know when you are planning to come. I would love to show you around.Best Wishes and a Happy, Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours,Mary

• June 22, 2018 at 6:40 pm

Hahaha så kul att alla rasister försvarar sina rasistiska åsikter med yttrandefrihet!! Snälla ingen går på det där längre! Stå för att du är rasist! OCH JA du är rasist för att du tycker så! Orkar inte höra bullshitet om att så fort vi tycker nåt så stämplas man för att va rasist! Jaaa du är rasist!

• June 22, 2018 at 7:42 pm

Good day! This post could not be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this write-up to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

• June 22, 2018 at 8:31 pm

i love this new dumbbell routine!i started to feel that my body was getting used to the moves in bikini 4 and 7 so i’m really glad you filmed a new routine w/ dumbbells! :)your no-equipment vids are great, too (never ever & payphone challenge, wowww! my tris really are my weak spot). But sometimes you just want to use them weights, right?so now we have a new routine to take to the gym! #keepingourmusclesconfused #melikeylove!

• June 22, 2018 at 9:49 pm

/ Having read this I thought it was really informative. I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this short article together. I once again find myself personally spending a significant amount of time both reading and posting comments. But so what, it was still worth it!

• June 23, 2018 at 12:03 am

Haha, you can call me Michelle (or skipping stones or skipping or skippy or stoney or steadily – I get called lots of things). I don’t know why I’m so reluctant to just go ahead and put my real name on the blog; plenty of people know my name. I think part of it is that I’ve been skipping stones for a year, and that person has grown a lot in that time. I’m not ready to let her go yet, even if it is just a name.

• June 23, 2018 at 12:44 am

Congratulations on having one of the most sophisticated blogs Ive come across in some time! Its just incredible how much you can take away from something simply because of how visually beautiful it is. Youve put together a great blog space –great graphics, videos, layout. This is definitely a must-see blog!

• June 23, 2018 at 12:52 am

Really trustworthy blog. Please keep updating with great posts like this one. I have booked marked your site and am about to email it to a few friends of mine that I know would enjoy reading..

• June 23, 2018 at 1:23 am

Fina kvällsbilder! Borde vÃ¥ga mej pÃ¥ mer sÃ¥nt, men jag föredrar dagsljuset, som knappt existerar här i norr den här tiden pÃ¥ Ã¥ret…Kul att hitta en fotokompis

• June 23, 2018 at 5:22 am

Well, don’t you know the way to a blogger’s heart! I once did a post about being the secret love-child of Erma and Dave Barry, my 2 faves. I sent a link to Dave and he actually took the time to send me a reply.I think I’ll trot that post out again since not many ever read it – thanks.

• June 23, 2018 at 6:11 am

When will "conservatives" learn…to riot! You can't sit peacefully and politely by while criminals do what they will. Oh, and we need to demand a real candidate.