With technical and product training, our staff is well capable to create high-quality and innovative solutions for the medical devices industry, says Himanshu Baid, MD, Poly Medicure Ltd to Elets News Network (ENN)
Please describe in detail the infrastructure and research and development (R&D) facilities available at Poly Medicure Limited (POLYMED) to meet the ever-changing market requirements and other healthrelated challenges?
The following are the facilities available at POLYMED to meet constantly changing needs of the market:
- Total five manufacturing facilities in India (two facilities in Faridabad, two in Jaipur and one in Haridwar) and two facilities overseas (one in China “ wholly owned subsidiary and one joint venture in Egypt)
- Over 400,000 square feet of manufacturing area with 100,000 + square feet of a clean room area and state-of-the-art facilities with capacity to expand rapidly
- All manufacturing facilities are certified by the European Union (EU) (Conformit© Europ©ene (CE) Certification); one facility is the United States (US) Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) audited
- Manufacturing process capabilities include injection moulding, extrusion, insert moulding, compression moulding, blow moulding, ultrasonic welding, radio frequency (RF) & high frequency (HF) welding, ultraviolet (UV) bonding, laser welding, etc.
- Include Design for Six Sigma (DFSS), failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA), lean manufacturing and advanced product quality planning (APQP)
- Rapid prototyping using a three-dimensional (3-D) printer, process validation and customisation of products
- R&D facility approved by the Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India
- 20 engineers in new product development/design
- 15 engineers in value engineering, operational excellence and automation
- Over 95 patents granted and over 300 patents filed internationally
- New investment of Rs 60 crore in a new green field project at Institute of Management & Technology (IMT) Faridabad in Haryana and is geared up to launch a slew of products in the third quarter of 2017 with all statutory approvals
What measures are being undertaken by POLYMED to ensure staff members stay technically competent and well trained to create high-quality and innovative solutions? Do you think POLYMEDs manpower stands on par with those globally?
- Regular training programmes for our staff members
- Best human resources (HR) practices focusing on continuous training, key result areas (KRAs), Kaizen, 5S, leadership skills, Six Sigma, etc. are being adopted
- Training programmes led by the experts from the industry
- End user “ nurses and doctors are also involved and are getting valuable feedback
- Constant interaction with the R&D team by visiting hospitals to develop new products/technology and improve the existing products
- In December 2015, we conducted a Global Training Program for our business partners all over the world
Yes, POLYMEDs manpower stands on par with those globally, as we have over 1,500 full-time employees working at different facilities. With technical and product training, they are well capable to create highquality and innovative solutions for the medical devices industry.
- In-house R&D facility
- Rapid prototyping using 3-D printer, process validation & customisation of products
- In-house design, manufacture and maintenance of injection moulds and semi-automatic assembly lines using computer (or computerised) numerical control (CNC) machine tools
- Manufacturing process capabilities include injection moulding, extrusion, insert moulding, compression moulding, blow molding, ultrasonic welding, RF & HF welding, UV bonding, laser welding, etc.
- Highly experienced and trained manpower consisting of over 75 engineers
- DFSS, FMEA, lean manufacturing and APQP
- Equipment and machinery sourced from reputed suppliers worldwide
- Semi-automatic and automatic assembly machines designed using the latest technology and developed in-house using wellequipped tooling facility
- In-house ethylene oxide and steam sterilisation facilities
POLYMED stands out because of its large range of product basket compared with competitors
Is POLYMED looking forward to any new business strategies and partnerships to counter increasing competition in the medical device manufacturing and testing segment? If yes, please provide details.
- We are adding new products in gastrology and nephrology, including machines
- Scheduled to add more diethylhexyl-phthalate (DEHP) & polyvinyl chloride (PVC) free range of products in the portfolio which will provide better patient care and safety
- Created separate verticals and sales team for blood bags and diagnostics
- Appointment of POLYMEDs representative in some hot spots and territories worldwide for more product intelligence
Where does POLYMED stand in the med tech ecosystem vis a vis its competitors? What are the key features that make POLYMED stand out from others. Please explain.
We stand out in the med tech system due to the following reasons:
- Strong R&D facilities
- Manufacturing facilities “ 100,000 + square feet of clean room to meet high volume demand
- A large range of product basket compared with competitors
- Our core values “ WISE
W “ We care as we cure for our people, planet & prosperity of our stakeholder
I “ Innovation in everything we do
S “ Safety in Product & Processes
E “ Excellence in quality of Leadership, People, Processes & Products