The Government of India has launched a COVID-19 app which will help one to check if he or she is in proximity with a Coronavirus infected person. The app called Aarogya Setu app is available on both Android and iOS devices and can be downloaded free from Google play store. The objective is to spread awareness among the citizens about the highly contagious coronavirus which has killed more than 50 people across the country.
“We understand the nature and sensitivity of the topic and have taken strong measures to ensure that your data is not compromised. Your data will be shared only with the Government of India. The app does not allow your name and number to be disclosed to the public at large at any time,” said the app.
Here is a list of 10 points which one should know about the app and its use:
1. The Aarogya Setu app has been developed by the National Informatics Centre, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
2. The app lets users check whether they have been in contact with infected people by using location and bluetooth data from smartphones
3. It tells you about how vulnerable are you from infection from the virus.
4. To use the app, one needs to switch on Bluetooth, location and set location sharing to “always”
5. The app has been launched in 11 languages, including English, Hindi, Bangla and Marathi.
6. It shares your data with the government in case you are tested positive for Covid-19 or have been in contact with the person. However, it ensures that data won’t be shared to any third-party users.
7. The app also suggests tips on how to prevent yourself from getting coronavirus
8. Through chatbot it answers your basic queries on coronavirus and determines if you have symptoms or not.
9. It also has helpline numbers given for each state in India which will help you to assist in case of any emergency
10. In case you are in a high risk area, the app advises you to go for a test and call the toll-free number 1075 to schedule an appointment at a nearby testing centre