At Cadabams Hospitals, there is a multidisciplinary approach and holistic treatment pathways with evidence-based programmes and therapies in residential and inpatient care, says Neha Cadabam, Consultant Psychologist & utive Director, Cadabam’s Group in conversation with Elets News Network (ENN).
Q How have you evolved in terms of technology, infrastructure, and diagnostic equipment to provide the best mental healthcare facility at Cadabam’s Hospitals?
Cadabams Hospitals provides comprehensive quality mental healthcare to the people. Our speciality center has state-of-the-art equipment and facilities for treating various mental health issues.
We incorporate multidisciplinary approach and holistic treatment pathways with evidence-based programmes and therapies in residential and inpatient care such as Biofeedback, Neurofeedback, RTMS, Direct Cranial Stimulation, ECT, Psychotherapy, Mindfulness and group therapy.
Currently, we have a working professional team of 15 qualified mental health professionals (psychiatrists, clinical psychologists and counselors) trained in sub-specialties of mental health care and psychiatry such as addiction medicine, child and adolescent psychology, geriatric psychiatry, and adult psychiatry.
We do offer psychological and counseling services through skype or telephone. Our team helps in orienting the family by providing psychosocial supportive services in case of emergencies.
Cadabam’s Hospitals also has a screening and uation team who considers the request for admission with utmost care. And, the assessments are done at various levels.
We have also launched a psychiatric emergency helpline with ambulance services with inbuilt GPS facility. Also, we at Cadabams Hospitals provide an allied support like home mental health services, outreach programmes, community services. We ensure availability of dedicated psychologists round-the-clock for emotional crisis.
Q Shed some light on treatment solutions i.e direct cranial stimulation and group therapy. How do these work?
Cadabams Hospitals provide evidence-based treatment solutions for different psychiatric issues. Treatment includes neurofeedback, biofeedback, direct cranial stimulation, rTMS (Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation), group therapy.
- Biofeedback Therapy understands how a person responds to stress and anxiety. And with interventions we help the person to learn to relax and manage stress better.
- Neurofeedback Therapy is an effective intervention for various brain-related conditions such as aggression, ADHD, anxiety, depression, autism, epilepsy, insomnia, headaches, and brain damage. This treatment technique helps in understanding the behavioural changes in a person.
- rTMS Treatment helps in inducing a sense of mindfulness and well-being in a person. It helps in reducing the stress level and improves concentration by increasing the oxygen supply and blood circulation to the brain and brings about a sense of balance.
- Direct Cranial Stimulation is a proven treatment for people suffering from nervous issues such as strokes and brain injuries. It helps to improve problem-solving, memory, attention span, and coordination.
- Psychotherapy is a way to treat people with mental illnesses by making them understand their problem. It is a kind of a tool to deal with stress and also unhealthy behaviours and thoughts. Some of the psychotherapies include group therapy, individual therapy, CBT, etc.
Q In our society, mental disorders are not perceived as a serious disease and families dont seek medical advice at times. What are your suggestions to them?
In our present society many people do not readily get a help or seek a treatment for their mental health concerns. Also, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO), it is estimated that 30- 80 percent of the people across the world never receive a treatment for mental health issues.
One of the possible reasons is that majority of the people lack knowledge about mental health and its importance and well-being in their lives. The way we perceive, talk, think, and treat the mental health varies from person to person. People often avoid seeking a proper medical attention even when they think it is necessary.
It is vital to realise the mental health disorders could take away the good health, peace, and well-being from the life of your loved one. Thus seeking a help for a mental health issue is often the first important step towards staying and getting well.
Q Tell us about various specialisation programmes including sleep lab in the hospital.
At Cadabams Hospitals, the specialisation programmes include neuropsychiatry, adult and geriatric psychiatry, sleep lab, child and adolescent psychiatry.
Adult and geriatric psychiatry help to improve the mental health of the elderly people with different neuropsychiatric problems such as depression, dementia, chronic pain, and psychosis. Cadabam’s Hospitals also provide a holistic approach of treating the child behavioural problems through child and adolescent psychiatry by providing individual, family psychotherapy, psychosocial interventions and medications.
Sleep lab facility is specialised to diagnose some of the common sleep problems such as insomnia, sleep apnea, hypersomnia through sleep studies that are conducted through a diagnostic tool called Polysomnography.
Apart from these, we also provide evidence therapies based on therapeutic interventions such as biofeedback and neurofeedback treatments for various brain-related disorders. These treatment therapies help to understand the negative behavioural patterns in a person and further help them to rectify and develop positive thinking, patterns and thoughts.
On determining the causes for specific behaviours, bio/neurofeedback treatment is strategically applied that focuses on deep breathing, altering thoughts and memories.