ePrescription or Electronic Prescription, also sometimes called as e-Rx is the smart new way of managing and maintaining the manual process of writing prescription. This is the latest trend in the field of medical technology that is going to revolutionise the way doctors, hospitals, medical shops, and pharmaceutical companies are working.
It includes computer and telecommunication technology, internet and smart mobile devices which transmit the medical data across the various recipients. For doctors, e-prescription system could prove to be a great helping hand.
How is ePrescription beneficial?
- Complete automation of manual and time-intensive method of prescription writing
- Selecting the right medication, transmitting prescriptions electronically, printing prescriptions
- Conducting all safety checks, which includes – information on the various drug to be prescribed, drug-drug interactions, concerns related to potential inappropriate dose or route of administration, various allergy concerns, cautions, and warnings
- Electronic facilitating of information, such as formulary (or tiered formulary) medications, authorisation requirements, and patient eligibility
- Providing all information about availability of therapeutically appropriate and low-cost medical alternatives
- Creating and updating the list of complete active medication based on the data received from applicable pharmacy drug plan
Why ePrescription need of the hour in India?
Well, if we look at the functions of e-prescription system, they seem to be impressive. However, the challenge lies in the practice. It’s high time India should embrace the technology of e-prescription.
(Disclaimer: The writer is Shashi, Seo executive in CompuRx Infotech Pvt Ltd. The views expressed are personal opinion