L to R: Vinod Menon, CEO, Smart Genex Technologies; Jaikant Singh, Head- Partnership & State Alliance, National Skill Development Corporation; Anjan Bose, Secretary General, Healthcare Federation of India; Moderator: Dr Supten Sarbadhikari, Project Director, Centre for Health Informatics of the National Health Portal, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India; Chief Guest: Shri Faggan Singh Kulaste, Hon’ble Minister of State, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India; Dr Deepak Agarwal, Chairman- Computerisation & IT, AIIMS, New Delhi; Neeraj Lal, Group COO, Sunshine Global Hospitals, Gujarat; Sumit Puri, CIO, Max Healthcare, Gurgaon; N K Ramakrishnan, CIO, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi; Dr Rajesh Gupta, Head – Healthcare Solutions, Medanta The Medicity, Gurgaon.
- As far as making health smart in India is concerned, the Government of India has also undertaken many measures, such as the National eHealth Authority (NeHA) is in the process of being set up.
- The National Centre for Informatics is getting registered as an autonomous society under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare that will be acting as the Secretariat.
- Being ‘smarter’ means being ‘better’, both in terms of cost, as well as outcomes.
- Use of mobile phones, which is very prevalent in the country today, can be tapped as an opportunity in healthcare.
- Compared to other countries, we are forced to see 10 times more patients – one & only way to really cater to our population is by becoming smarter.
- Smart healthcare changes can be categorised into IT process related changes and IT infrastructure.
Achievements of Participating Hospitals:
- Max Healthcare, Gurgaon: For efficiency, we are doing a lot of work to improve our own internal processes, the best way to reduce waiting time, cost control for materials, etc.
- Max Healthcare, Gurgaon: We want to go ahead and diversify into wellness and prevention, so we have launched a big digital initiative in home care.
- Medanta: We are developing mobile apps for patients for not only appointments, but also to access health reports, discharge summaries, etc., as well as share with other doctors.
- Sunshine Global Hospitals, Gujarat: Named our intensive care unit (ICU) as a happy unit & creating a room called counselling room.
- Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi: One of dream projects of Sir Ganga Ram Hospital is Smart OPD – in 12 months’ time we will be one of the very few hospitals in the country where the entire OPD is completely digital & all hospital records are captured in a very structured manner and put across for evidence-based clinical practice.
- AIIMS, New Delhi: Recently tied up with Hitachi through a Japanese funding agency NEDO to reduce expenditure of power consumption by 50% using a lot of smarter technologies.