Sealed Air Corporation, a Fortune 500 company engaged in the business of food packaging and food safety, cleaning and hygiene solutions, launched a shared value initiative ‘Soap for Hope’ on May 27 in association with the Mumbai-based non-government organisation ‘Doctors for You’.
Pioneered by Sealed Air, this innovative programme recycles used hotel soaps into fresh soap for distribution to local communities. During the launch, a joint workshop was held by both Sealed Air and Doctors for You to provide a step-by-step demonstration of the soap-recycling process.
How ‘Soap for Hope’ Works?
- Requires no running water or electricity
- Used soap collected from hotels and then transported to the local community
- Conducts training sessions on the soap recycling process
- Uses innovative cold-press method
- Utilises simple but uniquely customsied equipment
- Takes less than 10 minutes
- Fresh bars of soap distributed to commmunities
- Supplementation of livelihood
- Ties up with the Swachh Bharat Programme
- Most effective and inexpensive ways to prevent diarrhoeal and respiratory diseases, especially in children
- Aims to reach out to underprivileged communities
- Considerable increase in immunisation rate with the soap distribution
- Reduces diseases, such diarrohea and various other diseases, by 70%.
- Successfully implemented across 62 cities and 27 countries together with 249 partner hotels
- Typically, a 400-room hotel generates 3.5 metric tonnes of solid soap waste per annum. Hence, this initiative can provide soaps to 2,000 people annually and thus save 1.5 million lives through proper hand hygiene
- Intend to reach out to more communities and create an impactful living by touching 25,000 lives by end of 2016
- Kicked off in areas, such as Govandi, Mankhund, Tatanagar and Deonar, to start with in Mumbai
- We plan to extend this initiative to other slum areas and take it to cities such as Jaipur, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad and various others cities