The latest Human Development Index (HDI) 2011 prepared by the UNDP ranks India at 134 out of 187 countries and its HDI is shown as 0.547 which is an improvement of 5.39%. The health aspects are reflected in life expectancy at birth which is shown as 65.4 year in HDI 2011 against 64.4 year in HDI 2010.
High IMR and Under 5 MR are the major factors in lowering Life Expectancy at Birth. MMR also needs improvement. A target of 25/1000 for IMR and 100/100,000 live births for MMR has been prescribed by the 12 Five Year plan document for the end of 2017.
Some of the steps taken under NRHM for improving the situation are:
- Regular ANC care at health facilities and home visits by ASHA
- Personalized monitoring of pregnant women, the new born and the post-partum woman through MCTS
- Promotion of institutional delivery through JSY, increase in delivery points and improvement in referral transport.
- Increase in number of SNCU for managing preterm and sick neonates
- Promotion of exclusive breast feeding
- Reduction in incidence of diarrhoea through improvement in hygiene by measures such as hand washing and management of diarrhoea through Zinc and ORS supplementation.
- Extension of immunization coverage
- The various disease control programs against Malaria, Kala Azar, filaria, TB (RNTCP) etc have improved the burden of disease and mortality due to major infectious diseases in all stages of life.
- In order to tackle the impact of Non-communicable diseases, Government of India has launched the National Programme for prevention and control of cancer, Diabetes, Cardiovascular Diseases and stroke (NPCDCS) in 2010 in 100 districts of 21 States with a focus on an awareness generation for behaviour and life style changes, early diagnosis and referral to higher facilities for appropriate management. It has also been envisaged to build capacity at various levels of health care systems for prevention, diagnosis and treatment of NCDs.
The above information was given by Minister of State for Health & Family Welfare, Shri Abu Hasem Khan Choudhury in a written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha on 8th March 2013.